Tuesday, November 17, 2009

That's a Big Mountain!

So I sat in again on another one of those online forum discussions. You know the kind, where a professional author come's on and tells you how they made it to the top.

Yeah, I hate those too. They end up making me see more of the mountains I have to climb.

Then why do I participate in them?

Knowledge.

When it comes to the journey towards publication, not everyone likes to know about the mountains. Some people like it when the mountain sneaks up on them. That way if they mess up, it's the mountain's fault right?

When you think about all the mountains out there in the writing world you just want to quit. You think I don't want to face another mountain.

As for me, I look at the mountain sometimes and say, "Lord, how much longer do I have to look at that thing?"

Then of course the Lord says, "You're not suppose to look at it, you're suppose to climb it."

I have to admit, I wish I were more like Caleb who said, "Now therefore, give me this mountain!" (Joshua 14:6-14)

Hmm. Thinking. Climb the mountain. Where do I start?

You start right where you're at! That's the great thing about mountain climbing.

  • If you want to write, but haven't had much experience yet, you take classes, go to writer's conferences, join a critique group, forums, social networks and read a lot of books!
  • If your submissions, queries, manuscripts etc. are always getting rejected, you take classes, go to writer's conferences, join a critique group, forums, social networks and read a lot of books!
  • Then when you get more and more positive feed back...you blog!
You get the idea?


I say it so much on this blog but it bears repeating. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Writing is hard work and there are Philistines out there waiting to dis, crush and otherwise destroy your dreams. You can't let them.

If you do nothing else today do this: pray, "God, I submit my writing to you today, it's Yours. Lead me along straight paths and let me bring glory to Your name. I give it up. I give it to You. Take it and lead me." Mean it! Now do one last thing...

...Just take one more step. Tomorrow's mountain will wait.


No comments:

.