Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Abortion and the Church

Okay so, I was not going to blog anymore due to having a website that takes a bunch of time. But...now I have more time and realized that blogging is really a good idea. So here it is.

I've been working on a new novel that is based on the short story I wrote exclusively for Christian Romance Magazine. When I finished the story, I felt that it was not quite done. I needed to explore so much more than I was able to put in a 50 page short story. You can read the story here:

http://www.christianromancemagazine.com/pure-romance.html

Ode to Grace explores such a powerful subject that I thought no SS could do it justice. For instance, I did not even get to explore how women are ostracized by the church after having an abortion, even if it happened years before when they were not even Christian. Certainly I am not suggesting that we just let anyone creep in and out of the church as they desire. Especially those that would support such a life style decision. However, I am also not supporting the whole "shun" tactic either. People who desire true repentance (and there's the difference) should be supported and loved through their journey.

One subject I was allowed to deal with to a fuller degree, was the path of a caregiver who had been thrown into the middle of someone else's decision. That is one of the most brutal realities left over from abortion.

I've read stories and interviewed women so much in the past 2 months that I feel like I am almost an expert...not quite. So many common threads, not the least of which is the devistation left behind in the heart and soul of a woman who felt she had no other choice.

Please be compassionate...these women truly believe they had no other choice.

Who can fully know the psyche of someone backed into a corner, pressured by others to make the right decision.

I am Pro-life. I will always be Pro-life. But I will not turn someone away who desires true repentence. Who is reaching out to the Christ that lives in me. May God have mercy if I ever do.

If you are a post-abortive woman, or man for that matter, please don't give up. There are people who will love you regardless of whether they understand or can relate. The Christ who died for you is calling out to you. He's waiting to help you, whether people do or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken!! There's a genuine need for the church to reach out to a broke and repentant heart affected by abortion. Statistics, though they may wildly vary, indicate that many people are indeed affected by abortion at some point in their lives. It may not be their own past actions, but odds are many more then we realize, even within the church, suffer needlessly in silence. Thank you for speaking up!

.